1. forgive vt. 原谅；宽恕
please forgive me—I didn’t mean to be rude.
I’ll never forgive you for what you have done wrong to your parents. 辨析：forgive, excuse和pardon
forgive 有很浓的个人感情色彩，语气较重。 pardon指饶恕严重过错或法律上的犯罪。 Excuse me, but I must say you are completely wrong.
The government pardoned the criminal.政府赦免了那个罪犯。 2. satisfy vt.使满足；使满意；符合（达到）标准 satisfaction n.
Just to satisfy my curiosity, how much did you pay for your car?
It is by no means easy to satisfy everyone. 要满足每一个人绝非易事。
Looking at a beautiful painting always gives one satisfaction. 观赏一幅美丽的图画使人心满意足。
satisfy the eye悦目
satisfy the people’s needs满足人民的需要 satisfy one’s desire(curiosity)满足欲望 be satisfied with sth. / sb. 对……感到满意 with satisfaction满意地
satisfactory adj.令人满意的（to），圆满的；符合要求的 far from satisfactory远不能令人满意 考点例题：
Our teacher was ____________ with us. Because our answers are ___________. A. satisfy; satisfy B. satisfied; satisfying C. satisfied; satisfaction D. satisfying; satisfied 3. gain vt.获得；得到。该词有三种含义
Gain experience, fame/other’s respect, love, trust获得经验、名望/别人的尊敬、爱戴、信任 He has gained rich experience in these years. （2）表示速、重量等慢慢增加
He gained weight after recovery from his illness.康复后他的体重增加了。 The plane quickly gained height after it took up.飞机起飞后迅速增加飞行高 （3）（钟，表）走快
This clock gains five minutes a day. 这只钟每天快5分钟。 拓展：
No pain, no gain. 一分耕耘,一分收获。 4. apologize vi.道歉；辩白
I must apologize for not being able to meet you. 我必须因没能接你而向你道歉。
apologize to sb. for sth. 因某事（为做了某事）向某人道歉 apologize for oneself为自己辩解或辩护
make an apology to sb. for sth.为某事向某人道歉 练习：你太无理了，必须向你姐姐道歉。
___________________________________________________________ You must apologize to your sister for being so rude. =
You must make an apology to your sister for being so rude. 5. balance
（1）v.权衡；对比，使（重量、重要性或影响）均衡 balance the advantages against the disadvantages权衡利弊
balance the time spent on the main subjects平衡花在主科上的时间
My accounts balance for the first this year.我的账上今第一次出现收支平衡。 （2）n.天平；平衡
keep one’s balance保持平衡
out of balance = lose one’s balance失去平衡 拓展：
a balanced decision折衷的决定 a balanced diet均衡饮食 6. benefit
（1）vt.有益于；vi.得益于（常与from, by连用） The rain benefits the plants.这场雨有益于植物。= The plants benefit from the rain. （2）n.利益，好处；津贴 a public benefit公益
This dictionary will be of great benefit to me. 拓展：
be of great benefit = very beneficial
1. in memory of为了纪念 联想记忆：
in honor of纪念…… in charge of掌管；照顾 in need of需要 in possession of占有
in praise of 为颂扬；赞美…… in favor of赞成，支持；有利于 考点练习：
1)The monument is________ _________ ___________a scientist.
2)If you are _______ _______ _________anything, don’t hesitate to let me know. 3)Can you please tell me who is _________ _______ ___________ distribution. 4)In their discussion, I _________ ________ ____________ Mr. Li. 2. look forward to盼望；期待
I’m looking forward to seeing you this summer vacation.
lead to导致；通向 object to反对
refer to查阅；提到 stick to粘住；坚持
come close to接近；差点 devote …to…贡献……给……；致力于
get down to着手做……
3. keep one’s word守信用，履行诺言 break one’s word食言，失信
take back one’s words(被迫)收回自己说过的话 have/say the last word下结论；说了算 have words with和……争议（争吵） beyond words无法用语言表达 in a few words简单说来；总之 in other words换句话说，也就是说
注意：word作“消息，诺言，谣言”讲时，为不可数名词 keep one’s word履行诺言 have/get word获得消息；听说 leave word留言，口信
word came that…有消息传来说 考点例题：
As a parent, you shouldn’t lie to your children; instead you should __________. 4. be tired of厌烦于 = be fed up with = be sick with be tired from因…而疲劳
be tired out= be worn out非常疲倦 I am very tired from work. 考点例题：
__________ the whole day’s hard work, he went back home, exhausted. (tire) 5. get away to逃避惩罚
Nobody gets away with insulting him like that.这样侮辱他，他是不会放过的 拓展：
get across被理解；使人了解 Did you speech get across to the crowd? get down to认真静下心（工作） get on well with相处融洽 get out of避免；摆脱
get round避开；逃避现实；说服 get through接通电话；办完；完成 get up起床；起身 考点练习：
1) When I was young, I was afraid of school, but soon I ____________________ it. 2) She never arrives on time at the office, but she somehow managed to ________ it. 3)Well, stop chatting. It’s time we _______________ some serious work.
4)Let’s start at once. We have a lot of work to ___________________ this morning.
1. It was obvious that the manager of the coffee shop was waiting for Li Fang to leave.很明显咖啡店老板在等着李方离开。
It was obvious (clear) that …“很明显……，显而易见……”= obviously/ clearly 拓展：
It is necessary/important /strange/natural+ that + should do It is a pity/a shame/ no wonder + that + should do 考点例题：
——Don’t you think it necessary that he _______ to Miami but to New York? ——I agree, but the problem is ________ he has refused to. A. will not be sent; that B. not be sent ; that C. should not be sent; what D. should not sent; what 2. What could have happened?会发生什么事呢？
Nothing could have been better.再没有比这更好的东西了
could + have done表示对已发生的事情的疑惑和不肯定，常用于疑问句和否定句中。 考点例题：
——Well done, Jack!
——Thanks. But given more time, I __________ it better.
A. shouldn’t have done B. could have done C. might not do D. could do
一、用方框内所给短语的适当形式完成下列句子（其中有两个多余选项）。 throw away; look forward to; be tired of; keep one’s word; get away with; play a trick; hold one’s breath; earn one’s living; in debt; day and night; turn up; take place 1. They traveled ________ until they reached the temple. 2. We’ re really _________ skiing in Aspen.
3. We invited her to dinner but she didn’t even _________.
4. His promises ate written in water, that is, he never _________.
5. The audience ___________ as the acrobat walked along the tightrope between the two buildings.
6. The child ought to be punished. You shouldn’t let him ________ telling lies. 7. Don’t __________ those rotten vegetables. We can feed them to the pigs. 8. He had to ____________ by delivering newspaper in his youth.
9. She was ___________ when she was poor, but she has been out of debt since she got rich. 10. Many students said they _________ doing endless homework.
1. Great changes _________ (take place) in China in the past ten years.
2. A group of 80 planes, ___________ (lead) by Lieutenant Commander Egusha, was on its way to attack.
3. ￡45，000 _________ (award) to a typist with an injured hand. 4. Doctors ___________ (research) into the causes of the disease believe they may have found a cure.
5. The boy stood there without _________ (dare; say) a word.
6. Men hold most of the top jobs, and this _________ (limit) women’s opportunities for promotion.
7. Since the ground is wet, it ___________ (rain) last night.
8. Many people enjoy _________ (combine) a holiday with learning a new skill.
三、根据括号内的提示翻译下列句子。 1. 好生永远不会对习感到厌倦。（be tired of） 2. 大家都对他的改变很惊讶。（be amazed at） 3. 我不会让你久等的。（have sb. doing）
4. 这个计划会让所有老人受益，同时，他们的子女也能从中受益。（benefit from） 5. 我们怎样才能除掉房间里的苍蝇？（get rid of）